Question:
Item naming help please?
?
2013-01-29 17:51:18 UTC
I'm making a video game and I need help naming an item you use.

You have a large variety of items and weapons but the one in particular I need help with is an umbrella.

It's not like a usual umbrella, though. It's enchanted. It can be used as a weapon by spinning it around (it has spiked edges), stabbing someone with it and hitting someone over the head. But can also be used as a weapon, in that, if it is closed and aimed at someone when you open it up it will send out a large gust of wind to blow your opponent backwards, off a ledge or even off their feet.

It can also be used as a boat by turning it upside down in water and climbing inside.
And if you are falling a very long distance it can help to slow your fall.

This game is set back in the period of time before umbrellas were invented, so I need a new name for it, but I've been working on it for hours and I've completely run out of ideas.

I want it to sound somewhat magical to suit it's abilities, but that's proving very difficult.

I also have a new sword. You know how in real life when you're underwater bigs things seem a lot less heavy (or vice versa, meaning about twice as heavy) but as a downside there is much more resistance to move in water?
This sword is made to be used underwater for that very reason: water resistance.
It can move freely through water as your other swords can on land.

And I also need help on this... I have a Fishing Rod for the game and a special kind of rare bait you can use:
Gumbleworm Bait.
Item description: A very rare, large, teal Worm. It has a rancid, stomach-churning, (8888888) smell.

But I need help with a disgusting, I-really-need-to-throw-up kind of smell for it. But it also has to sound good with the context and fit that time period. They're not going to have an it-smells-like-burning-plastic or propane smell back then.

If anyone thinks they can and would be so kind and willing to try and help me I would greatly appreciate it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'm here 24/7.

Thank you in advance.
K.A.C.E./KellyEdis
Three answers:
Kail
2013-01-29 18:22:29 UTC
The smell could be of Titum Ariam a plant that smells like rotting flesh and can be smelt over a mile away (quick fact: it only blooms/gives off fumes once a year) or just rotten flesh to make it less complicated. The umbrella I have no idea but I have some stupid ideas: Umblade (bit mix of umbrella and blade) Spin Raze, Tornado Blade (ive never named an item EVER so they may not be good) for sword I may have ideas: Whirlpool, Sea Splitter, ( I don't have anything else but I think Sea Splitter might be good but then again I'm 13) well that's all I got. Tell me the name of your game and if you like the names or Mabe even use them (that would be awesome) and can I play it on pc or a console or my iPhone? And also if I have to pay for it or if it's free.

Thanks!!!
breckley
2016-08-11 07:41:08 UTC
I got here throughout this fascinating article regarding the customary use of brand names. Meals for inspiration! Is Google becoming like a Hoover or Xerox? In order for a alternate mark to be eligible for registration and also to ensure that it to remain registered, it need to now not be prevalent. That it is to claim it need to no longer end up a phrase that's used to describe the perform of the product or a verb involving use of a product. Arguably the phrase Google has fallen into day-to-day language most often used as a verb to describe using a search engine for illustration many men and women will “google” a contact before a assembly thereby using the term as a verb regardless of which search engine they in reality use. Similar examples are “biro” for a ball point pen regardless of whether the pen in question is an actual Biro or an additional company or Hoover which is used in both noun and verb type to describe different brand of vacuum cleaner and also to describe the motion of doing the “hoovering”. Xerox skilled an identical problems and ran a sequence of adverts expressly denying the verb use of the word with the slogan “that you can’t xerox a report but that you could copy it using a Xerox brand copying machine” . Google have it seems that already written to a number of publications and dictionaries so as to check out and preclude the word being used generically or, even worse, as a dictionary listed verb. It is not clear whether they're going to begin an advertising crusade however it does appear like a shrewd choice to be able to stem a tide of unstoppable trade mark infringements BRIFFA comment it is a good instance of the place it becomes relevant to continue policing your trade marks even as soon as they have grow to be registered. Registered trade marks can also be the field of several risks publish registration. Some examples of such risks are below. Infringement: If a 3rd party infringes your alternate mark it is as much as you to do some thing about it. Utilising a observing carrier can ensure that you are made speedily mindful of any new purposes that will threaten or infringe your mark. Revocation: if a mark shouldn't be used for any steady 5 12 months period following registration it's eligible for revocation by way of motive of non use. Removal by intent of having end up familiar. As per the illustration above a popular mark may just imply you would lose your exchange mark rights which in a manufacturer with the worth and goodwill of Google could be catastrophic.
bailey
2013-01-29 18:06:00 UTC
first what is this game on? it sounds mad!

for the umbrella

maybeeee umm what about venspike?

ven meaning ventus as in wind and its spikey sooo i dunno? :P

i reckon that sounds cool anyway